Lamb Skilpadjie With 3 SaucesAugust 6, 2019
Lamb Shoulder - 8 Hour Roast Greek Lamb Shoulder
6 to 8
8 hours for the lamb and 40 minutes for the briam
Ingredients for the Lamb shoulder
- Put the onions in an oven proof dish.
- Place the lamb shoulder on top of the onions and cut slits into it.
- Push some of the garlic cloves in the slits as well as some of the rosemary and thyme.
- Put the rest of the garlic, rosemary and thyme around the shoulder and pour over the wine and stock.
- Season to taste and cover with heavy duty foil or lid.
- Place in a 100 degree Celsius oven for 8 hours and check halfway through to see if it needs any liquid. In that case add some water or more stock.
- Your lamb shoulder should be done as soon as you can pull out the bones and the meat is very soft and tender.
Ingredients for the Briam
- 4 medium sized potatoes, washed and sliced
- 4 medium sized baby marrows, sliced
- 2 medium sized red onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 50ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 5 fresh origanum sprigs, leaves stripped
- 250ml prepared chunky tomato pasta sauce or chopped tinned tomatoes
Method for the Briam
- Pour the pasta sauce or tinned tomatoes in an oven proof dish. Season to taste.
- Arrange the potato, baby marrow and onion on top of the sauce, starting with the potatoes followed by the baby marrow and ending with the onion. Repeat the sequence until you have used all the vegetables.
- Pour the olive oil over the vegetables and season to taste.
- Put the origanum leaves over the whole dish and bake in the oven for approx. 40 minutes or until browned and cooked.
- You can add some more olive oil if the Briam is too dry.